Won't be no static! Don't start none, won't be none! Oh yeah, my friends, I am doing my best James Brown impersonation because by all accounts I have beat the hair static monster! :::sliiiiide, spin, split:::You will recall in my previous post, Ode to the Dominicans, that I was suffering from some serious static issues. I mean, I wore my hair in pony tail for two weeks because I couldn't get it under control. I had basically decided to wave the white flag and let the professionals handle it. I could not walk around with that mess I called hair any longer. You've seen "Good Hair," haven't you? This is important!
But in reality, I do not want to spend the cash to have my hair done every two weeks (about $80/month). Not to mention the time to get to the salon, wait, you know the drill. Some will say they rather the salon experience because it becomes someone else's hassle. I rather the home experience because I can watch trashy TV while getting the job done myself. Oh yeah and save some money.
Last week, I noticed a coworker of mine's hair looking fab. I assumed it was a Dominican blowout and asked where she got it done, ready to make my appointment. She then informed me that she did it herself. A few emails later and I had her technique and products used and I was ready to give it a try. And, success!
Smooth and lovely
It's not perfect but I think a few more tries and I'll have it exactly how I want it. There is only one problem - I changed several things in the last week that may contribute to my new static-free fabulosity.
- I bought a humidifier - I have heard of the many beauty (who cares about breathing!) benefits to having one in your bedroom during the winter. Better skin, better breathing, and adding moisture to the air is a way to combat static. I have definitely gotten rid of my alligator winter skin, and feel the air in my bedroom is different. Seriously, get one. Could this have KO'd my static, too?
- I used the blowdryer/roundbrush method - Previously, I used the Maxiglide to straighten my hair. It's a flat iron that takes your hair from curly to straight. You use it while your hair is dry. The main cause of hair static is dryness. While very effective, could the Maxiglide have been the cause of my static?
- New products - On the recommendation of my coworker, I ran (literally) out and purchased KeraCare Conditioning Creme Hair Dress and Paul Mitchell's Super Skinny Serum. Not sure how much of an impact these had on my static, but I love the products. They moisturize my hair without weighing it down (my hair is very thin) and they smell good and not like something to be used on a car which is important to me!
So now you understand my quandary. Did one of these things eliminate my static or are they all contributors to the cause? I'm tempted to use my Maxiglide next time and see if I get static free results. It is a bit easier than the blowdryer but I'm skerred. Hey, at least I would know who to blame if it doesn't work out. At any rate, right now I am happy and static-free!
No! No static! No! No static....
Where's my cape?


Hey just stopping by from www.blogshercolor.com to say hi.
ReplyDeleteI too am a slave to my hair, I go the every 2 weeks salon route. Everytime i try DIY it just doesn't work out as well.
But your hair looks like it turned out great, i need to stock up on those products for the next time i hve a do it myself emergency.
Thanks for stopping by! It's a never-ending struggle!
ReplyDelete