Thursday, December 31, 2009

Gather Around! Book Review 2009

This time of year is filled with end-of-year countdowns, recaps, and trips down memory lane. So I’ve got one of my own. In between blog surfing, I actually get around to reading a few books a year and this year, my choices have been pretty good. I’ll say that I am not very consistent when it comes to categories, I can read anything if it’s interesting. So my bookshelf includes classy, trashy and everything in between.

In no particular order, I present to you the books I read in 2009.

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

After a heavy, dark book, I like to lighten it up. This book was a joy to read. I have not seen the movie (which is often the case), so it was all brand new to me. It’s a great springtime read. Despite being set during a racially divisive time, it’s a beautifully written story about a girl’s yearning to learn about her mother and the women that help her. It speaks to the bonds between sisters, daughters, men, and women with no regards to color. The author easily intertwines tragedy with joy. The characters are very relatable and I liked it a lot. For its sister girl vibe: 4 snaps up!

Latino in America by Soledad O’Brien with Rose Marie Arce

After attending a luncheon where this well known CNN journalist spoke about her upcoming documentary style series Latino in America on CNN, I had to go out and get the book that accompanied the series. More than a study of Latin culture, it delves into the experience of being Latino in the US in a way I have never read about before. I appreciated her acknowledgement that Latinos, though they have many things in common, are separated by countries, islands and continents. She explained well that the experiences of Cuban and Puerto Rican immigrants is not the same as the experience that immigrants from other Latin American countries have. She went from coast to coast in the US highlighting successes, problems, and the future concerns in a manner never explored previously. Long overdue and a good read. Because it lets us know that Latinos do more than cook good food and salsa dance: 4 snaps up!

Something Borrowed by Emily Griffin

Just in time for my cruise, I picked up this trashy piece of chick lit. It’s a perfect summer read because it keeps the pages turning and doesn’t require your thinking cap. In short, it’s a story about a girl who sleeps with her best friend’s fiancé (hence the title). But it’s much more than that. It delves a bit into relationships between women, entitlement, and competition all without skipping a beat. Perfect beach read: 3 snaps up!

Shacking Up by Stacy and Wynne Whitman

I started out the year with this witty advice book on how to move in with your boyfriend. I heard about it from Miss Cheese over at Weddingbee. It covers all aspects of “living in sin” from deciding if it’s right for you to how to tell your parents as well as the emotional aspects and financial issues. Complete with contracts to protect the parties involved, it was a very useful read. Though it addresses the serious issues that may come up, it's done in a light-hearted way. It even covers how to move out! I found it helpful and it will remain on my shelf for the occasional reference. Great, if you're thinking about taking the plunge: 4 snaps up!


The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

I stumbled into this book. Someone in my building left some books in the entryway for anyone to take. I knew I had heard of this one so I snatched it up. I was underwhelmed. It was OK, not a bad read but nothing that knocked my socks off. Perhaps the great reviews screwed up my expectations of the book. It was well written, short and to the point. A lot of book for its quick read. It tells of inappropriate romance, guilt, shame and consequences. Good read, kept the pages turning: 3 snaps up!

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

I got to tell you that at first, this book is con-fus-ing. It is set in India and I had a hard time getting the character’s names straight (maybe I’m just a bimbo). On top of that, the author gives you bits and pieces of events that took place at different times that at first don’t seem related. I was ready to give up on this book but something kept me reading. It was recommended to me by a friend whose opinion I trust and I could see the pieces of a really good story there. Then, about 75 pages in, it happened. All the pieces started to come together and I could not put the book down. It tells the story of several generations of a prominent Indian family and how things unraveled. The author keeps the mystery going for some time. She covers issues of guilt, shame, disapproval, and racism through the eyes of children. Very well written and worth sticking it through. I’m glad I did. Because the pieces came together so well: 4 snaps up!


I See You Everywhere by Julia Glass

This is the story of two sisters who seemingly have nothing in common. One is a free-spirit, the other very controlled. It is a story about the ties that bind no matter what. A story of family, grief, and joy. Good not super, but I liked it: 2 snaps up!


The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

This was BY FAR the best book I read all year and for a while. I had such an attachment to this book. I was truly happy to read it. When I knew I would have a good block of time to sit and read, I literally smiled. It is a perfectly written story about a mute boy and his dogs. But it is so much more. The author has a way of grabbing hold of you and not letting go. I laughed out loud, I sobbed. It was an experience. I was actually sad when I finished it. It comes HIGHLY recommended from me. Because I was in good book mourning after it ended: 5+ snaps up!

There you have it! Now, do your own research, head to your favorite bookstore (ahem, Borders) go forth and read!

I’m currently reading Alex Haley’s Roots and with nearly 600 pages of tiny print, I won’t be reviewing that anytime soon! You'll be lucky if you see me blogging! I kid! I kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment

No personal attacks or snarkiness. Keep it civil.