Christmas has passed and the giving was good. This is that peculiar time of year when we all go through what I like to call a “mini-crisis of self.” You know! The anticipation (and stress) of Christmas shopping/decorating/entertaining is gone and the new year is looming. You’re thinking – what was my resolution last year? I have done nothing with my life in 2009, I gained 15 lbs, I’m still smoking, etc. etc. etc. This is the time to beat yourself down into making promises of a new life ahead in 2010. Promises you probably won’t keep according to statistics.
As resolutions go, I’ve been pretty good. In 2001, I gave up red meat and pork, and pretty much stuck to it strictly for a good 7 years. I loosened up a bit this year, though. I still don’t make it but I’ll eat it if I’m visiting someone and it’s on the menu. In 2006, I vowed to get my financial house in order. I did and got a condo in the process. Sweet! For 2009, after developing a serious Coke addiction (soda, people, soda!) thanks to B, I gave up soda. I did pretty good then fell off the wagon around August. And let me tell you, I need a 12-step program!
Then there are the not-so-successful resolutions. Namely - improving my horrible posture, stop cursing, and becoming a fitness queen. These were just not meant to be and have been laid to rest in the graveyard of new year’s resolutions past.
But since I’ve had success with some resolutions before, I still continue the tradition of making a resolution for the new year. This year I’m focusing on negative things to get rid of in my life.
So without further ado, here is my list of things that will get the pink slip in 2010 (I hope):
1. Soda – I’m going to do this again. It was easy enough as long as I don’t have any. I am convinced there are addictive agents in soda. Once I start, I can’t stop! Just say no!
2. Buying breakfast/lunch – I am so guilty of being too lazy to pack lunch and instead, buy lunch (and breakfast) pretty much everyday. In DC, this translates to about $15 a day on food. About $250 a month. Yeah. I have better things to do with my moolah. Like buy shoes, perfume, clothes! But seriously, I could really do better things with $3000 a year. Plus, whenever I pack my lunch, I lose weight. BONUS!
3. Bad posture – I need to address this, badly. My posture is terrible when sitting or standing and I’ve really begun to notice. I’m no spring chicken and the creakin’ and crackin’ has commenced. I plan to bring an exercise ball to sit on at work instead of a chair. It hasn’t been doing anything hanging out in my closet for 4 years anyway. I will probably also take yoga which I hear really helps the posture. Besides lessening discomfort, at a measly 5’2”, I could use the extra inches good posture will give me!
4. Ignoring the dog – Now, before you go calling the ASPCA on me, let me just say, I love my dog and he is well taken care of. It's just that I have fallen into a rut of always knowing he’s there. I’ve totally taken him for granted. After my brother’s dog recently died unexpectedly, I want to make a conscious effort to make more time for belly rubs, cozy time, and play. He deserves it!
5. My Job – This is the only resolution that I don’t have complete control over. It’s been long overdue that I move on from my current position. I have ceased to gain the valuable experience that I need to remain competitive. I have really been on an intensive search for the last year to no avail. I’ve had a couple of interviews that did not pan out. I will hit 2010 with new resolve to really try to get out of there or at least gain experience that will help me move on sooner rather than later.
There you have it, in writing. 2010 is gonna be a fantabulous year! Any resolutions for you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
No personal attacks or snarkiness. Keep it civil.