Thursday, December 17, 2009

Pet Peeved: Office Edition

While I'm on the subject of pet peeves, let's talk about something most of us share - the office.


It’s chock-full of peevers, isn’t it? Let’s list:

1. The barger - This is my all time most annoying office pet peeve. As far as I thought, when a door is closed, you knock to gain permission to come in. Was this your understanding, too? Because I have learned that some people seem to think you knock as a warning that you are barging on in. Uh, no pal. You knock, wait to hear [insert greeting here], then you come in. You don't just knock and totally barge in. Suppose I was on a conference call, or in a meeting, or fixing my tights. Surprise! Here I am with my hand up my skirt! Nice!

2. 7AM Fire Alarmer - Don't you just love morning people? You know the ones that come into your office as soon as you walk in to talk about some mundane task that can be addressed in a few hours, hell, maybe even in a few days and it wouldn't matter. Where is the fire, people? This is not an emergency that requires attention before my morning tea! Some of us are not morning people and come in late for a reason. Specifically, people like you! I’m sorry you have been here for 3 hours just waiting for my arrival but this is not a priority issue so let’s say you just hit reverse and back out of my office door. Mmkay! Come back, oh I dunno, maybe when my lights are on, my commuter shoes are changed, and my computer is loaded. Yes, that may be a better time.

3. Sheet Stalker – The peever above leads me to the Sheet Stalker. Have you ever wondered how [insert person in your office that fits the description in #2] knows exactly when you have arrived? The wind may still be in your hair, you are still stinking of commute, and there they are in your office already. Oh yes, you’ve got yourself a sign-in sheet stalker! Not only is this creepy, but neurotic. Unless it’s past noon and you are really wondering if someone came in today, just don’t do it!

4. The Replier – Oh Reply All, how you unnecessarily fill my inbox with emails I (a) don’t care about; (b) don’t need; (c) don’t understand; and (d) don’t care about. But I know, it’s not your fault. It’s the person that insists on including me on everything from the back and forth conversation between 2 people who know and care about the topic down to the “thank yous” and “your welcomes” of it all. I mean, really?! Really?! You’ve had a conversation with one person and included a dozen others and feel the need to include us on every OK, Thanks, No Problem while my IT department breathes down my neck to clean out my inbox or suffer the consequences. ::sigh:: I’m always so tempted to hit reply (not all because this is just for you) and type “I don’t care.”

5. The Escalators – Ever head out to lunch, a meeting, or to chit chat with a co-worker and return to pandemonium in your inbox? Like an email from the director of the director’s director all because you stepped out for half an hour and someone emailed you. When you didn’t reply in 5 minutes, they forwarded to your supervisor and copied your supervisor’s supervisor. And then more supervisors, till, before you know it, the Executive Director is asking you about [insert some non-critical job question here]. Unnecessary escalators wreak havoc in record time! Just because you want an answer right now does not make this an important and escalation worthy issue. Me not being at my desk doesn’t mean you get to involve everyone and their mom, none of whom can answer your question anyway. Just wait. If you would have waited half an hour, I would have answered your question like I am now without the 85 emails and 12 eyeballs.

We’ll leave it there for now, children. Any peevers in your office? It can't be just me, can it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

No personal attacks or snarkiness. Keep it civil.